- Born: Abt 1832, Swanage, Dorset, England 50,82,83,84,85,129,135,144,145,146,147
- Christened: 7 Oct 1832, Swanage, Dorset, England 145,148
- Unmarried (1): John Mitchell
- Marriage (2): John Robert Sutton Hudson on 1 Mar 1863 in St. Mary Magdalen, St. George Parish, Southwark, Surrey 131
- Died: 5 May 1921, Calgary, Alberta aged about 89 50,84,117,149
- Buried: 9 May 1921, Union Cemetery, Calgary, Alberta 117
Pioneer Families of Southern Alberta, published 1993
Hudson, Mrs. Mary Elizabeth
Mary Hudson was born in Wales in 1835 and died in Calgary in 1920.
She married John Sutton Hudson who was born in England and died there in 1883.
Mary came to Canada in 1884 to the land of opportunity for her family of nine.
They were in Southern Alberta in 1884.
1861 Census for Camberwell, Surrey (St. George, District 15)
page 4, address: 7 Charles Place (living with the family of John and Mary Ann Cook)
John Edwards, Head, married, male, age 36, Brewers Foreman, born Poplar, Middlesex,
Elizabeth Edwards, Wife, married, female, age 28, born Swanage, Swanage, Dorset
Lilla A " , Daug, single, female, age 1, born Southsea, Hampshire
[This census records certainly looks to be our small family of Elizabeth Mary Ellis and her daughter Lilla Amy, born in 1859 in Southsea, Hants. but here named Edwards???]
John Robert Sutton Hudson and Elizabeth Mary Ellis eventually do get married on 1 March , 1863 in the parish of St. George, Southwark. (London) as their marriage registration indicates.
1871 census, Elizabeth M Hudson, claims to be 35 years old so likely born abt 1835 in Swanage, Dorset
However on the 1881 census, it shows her to be 40 years old, so I wont be surprised if she is found to be born even before 1835.. She may be trying to hide her age.....jca
A submission to the LDS IGI files by an LDS member indicates that the member believed Elizabeth Mary Ellis to be christened in Swanage, Dorset on the 07 Oct, 1832
with parents of: Joseph and Sarah [May] Ellis.
also indicates that Frederick Ellis was born to the same parents
Frederick Ellis: christened: 25 Sept, 1836, Swanage, Dorset, and died 15 May 1856
also indicates that Sidney Edwin Ellis also born to same parents
Sidney Edwin Ellis: christened: 30 April, 1843, Swanage, Dorset
also notes Elizabeth Sarah Ellis also born to same parents
Elizabeth Sarah Ellis: christened: 11 June 1830, Swanage, Dorset, died 19 May 1832
All of the above records also located on the indexed British Isles Vital Records indexes which was sourced from LDS film 1239249, Church of England Parish records, Swanage, Dorset.
Also on this index is the marriage of Joseph Ellis to Sarah May, 19 July, 1827, Swanage, Dorset
so, all looks good , but additional confirmation of these relationships would be welcome..
The finding of the marriage registration for Elizabeth Mary Ellis would be most welcome.. jca
Noted events in her life were:
• Occupation: Dressmaker, 1851, Swanage, Dorset, England. 146
• Residence: 74 King Street, 1859, Southsea, Hampshire. 183
• Residence: 7 Charles Place, 1861, Camberwell, Surrey, England. 135
• Residence: 27 Willow Walk, 1862, Bermondsey, Surrey, England. 136
• Residence: 37 Singleton Street, 1866, Swansea, Glamorganshire, Wales.
• Researcher: 5 Falcon Street, 1871, Ipswich St Nicholas, Suffolk, England. 85
• Immigration: from England, 1884, Canada. 50,118
• Residence, 1891, Pine Creek, Southern Alberta. 84
• Occupation: Rancher, 1891, Pine Creek, Southern Alberta. 84
• Residence, 1892, Pine Creek, Southern Alberta. 51 Pine Creek has been swallowed up by Calgary.
• Residence: Lodger, 1901, Okotoks, AB. 144
• Residence: Sec10, Twp 22, Range 2 Mer 5, 1906, Calgary. 129 post office address: Millarville
• Occupation: Rancher, 1911, Mcleod District, Alberta, Canada. 10
• Residence: section 10, twp 22, Range 2, West 5th Meridian, 1911, Alberta, Canada. 10
Elizabeth had a relationship with John Mitchell.
apparently no marriage between John Mitchell and Elizabeth Mary Ellis took place......jca
Could it be that John Robert Sutton Hudson and John Edwards and John Mitchell could all be one and the same person????
An intriguing mystery for sure...
Elizabeth next married John Robert Sutton Hudson, son of Robert Hudson and Unknown, on 1 Mar 1863 in St. Mary Magdalen, St. George Parish, Southwark, Surrey.131 (John Robert Sutton Hudson was born about 1825 in Poplar, Middlesex,82,83,85,134,138 died on 18 Apr 1884 in Ipswich, Suffolk, England 50,84,134,140 and was buried on 22 Apr 1884 in Ipswich Cemetery, Suffolk, England 141.) The cause of his death was Cancer of Stomach.
Re the marriage date of John Robert Sutton Hudson and Elizabeth Mary Ellis..
according to the baptismal record of Albert Ellis in Jan of 1863, the mother Elizabeth Mary Ellis was still single at that time.. so Elizabeth must have been married after that. so perhaps 1863.
But Arthur Frederick Hudson would certainly appear to have been born in the last quarter of 1862 as per his GRO index in Bermondsey, Surrey.
The daughter Marion Hudson would appear to be born in 1864 as per the GRO indexes.
Church of England, Swanage,
Baptisms- 1863, page 68
baptism performed: Jan 25, 1863
Name: Albert XX. [hard to read middle name] , Illegitimate
Parents Name: Elizabeth Mary Ellis
occupation: "Single Woman"
A marriage registration was found for an Elizabeth Ellis, 4th qtr, of 1859, registration district of Wareham, which sounded very good indeed, but a search for a record for John Hudson for the same period does not turn up a match. (Elizabeth Ellis, 4th quarter, 1859, Wareham, vol 5a, page 663).. so maybe Elizabeth Ellis married someone else prior to the marriage to John R S Hudson??
( FreeBMD indicates a possible match for a Henry Hanny on same registration page) A search for a family of Henry Hanny with wife Elizabeth does turn up a Henry Hanney and Elizabeth (Elizabeth born Langton, Dorset) living in Holdenhurst, Hampshire in 1881 and having a 20 year old daughter.. So this likely forces a discard of the 1859 marriage of Elizabeth Ellis , 4th qtr of 1859 in Wareham.
May 12, 2005
Found in FreeBMD site the 1863 March qtr. registration in St. George of:
John Robert Sutton Hudson, reg district: St. George, vol 1d, page 153
with matching record of Elizabeth Mary Ellis, St. George, March 1863, vol 1d, page 153.
ordered marriage registration from GRO office, May 12, 2005.. jca
received May 25, 2005 and confirmed to be the correct registration for John Robert Sutton Hudson , widower , occupation Brewer, and Elizabeth Mary Ellis, spinster.